From November 4 – 8, Atlanta hosts the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association (APHA), where researchers, practitioners and policy makers from across the country will gather to share knowledge on health-related issues. This year’s theme focuses on creating the healthiest nation by mitigating and protecting communities against the impacts of climate change. This gathering will mark the cornerstone of the Year of Climate Change and Health.
ARG researchers will be in attendance to present on a range of topics, including harms to others from someone else’s drinking, racial/ethnic disparities in drinking, and use of evidence in alcohol policy development.
Sunday, November 5 : 4:30 – 5:30 pm
Session: 2080.0 Alcohol across the lifespan
- Poster: State Binge drinking prevalence is associated with alcohol’s harms to others
Won Kim Cook, PhD, Thomas K. Greenfield, PhD, Deidre Patterson, MPH, and Katherine J. Karriker-Jaffe, PhD
Session: 2087.0 Substance use disparities
- Poster: Intersection of race and sexual orientation: Prevalence of past 30-day heavy episodic drinking among Black sexual minority women
Emily Yette, MPH (ARG Predoc/PhD Candidate)
Tuesday, November 7, 2017; 11:10 am
Session 4139.0: Intersectionality and LGBT Public Health
- Paper: Health-related quality of life among Black sexual minority women: Intersection of race and sexual orientation
Emily Yette, MPH and Jennifer Ahern, PhD MPH
Tuesday, November 7 : 2:30 – 4:00 pm
Session: 4280.0 There oughta be a law: Alcohol policy for population health
- Paper: State legislators’ use of evidence in making policy on alcohol use in pregnancy: Preliminary data from qualitative interviews
Katie Woodruff, MPH, DrPH(c)
- Paper: Age at immigration and substance use and problems among males and females at the U.S.-Mexico border
Cheryl J. Cherpitel, DrPH, Libo Li, PhD, Guilherme Borges and Sarah Zemore, PhD
Wednesday, November 8: 12:30 – 2:00 pm
Session: 5123.0 Alcohol’s harms to others
- Paper: Are US state alcohol policies linked to individuals’ later reports of secondhand drinking harms?
Thomas K. Greenfield, PhD, Won Kim Cook, PhD, Katherine J. Karriker-Jaffe, PhD, Deidre Patterson, MPH, William C. Kerr, PhD, Ziming Xuan, ScD, SM, MA, and Timothy S. Naimi, MD, MPH
- Paper: Prevalence and burden of harms from other people’s drinking in the U.S.
Madhabika B. Nayak, PhD, Deidre Patterson, MPH, Katherine J. Karriker-Jaffe, PhD and Thomas K. Greenfield, PhD
- Paper: Social context of harms from other people’s drinking
Christina C. Tam, PhD, Katherine J. Karriker-Jaffe, PhD and Thomas K. Greenfield, PhD