The postdoctoral fellowship offers the opportunity to work with leaders in the field and can be a critical stepping stone toward becoming an independent investigator in addictions research. We accept applications for our postdoctoral fellowship on a rolling basis.
The postdoctoral training program is appropriate for:
- Recent doctoral graduates wishing to increase their research experience and establish a publication record in alcohol studies.
- Established researchers seeking to make a transition to the alcohol studies field.
Scholars who are new to alcohol studies are welcome to apply. Recent doctoral graduates are eligible if they are seeking a transition from related fields of study or if they are continuing previous study in the field. Established faculty are eligible if they have not previously conducted research in alcohol studies.
Applicants must satisfy all of the following specifications:
- Applicant must possess a Ph.D. or foreign equivalent (conferred less than five years ago)
- Proposed appointment may not total more than five years of service including previous postdoctoral experience at other institutions
- Applicant may not have been employed as an assistant professor, associate professor, or professor
Postdoctoral positions are typically 2 years in duration. The second year of funding is contingent on the approval of a second-year project and on successful completion of the first-year requirements. Postdoctoral trainees will receive a monthly stipend, partial health benefits, and a travel allowance. Current stipends are $42,000 – $49,128/year. Additional employment is often available.
Applications will be accepted from U.S. citizens or permanent residents who have earned a doctoral degree, or are within 3 months of their filing date; applications are reviewed by the Research Fellowship Committee, which meets at regular intervals throughout the year. Please prepare your application using the “Postdoctoral Fellowship Application Requirements Checklist” and submit it to the email address below.
Application Requirements Checklist
- Cover letter (please include how you heard about our training program)
- Recent curriculum vitae
- Samples of writing: reprints of articles, dissertation chapters, and/or reports, etc.
- Statement of purpose (2-3 pages, single-spaced)
- Why are you interested in alcohol research?
- What are the specific and realistic aims of your postdoctoral study?
- How do you see the fellowship contributing to your learning/career goals?
- How will the fellowship build upon your prior interests and accomplishments?
- What products do you envision coming out of your 2 years at ARG?
- Who are your first and second choices for an ARG mentor, and why?
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should be sent separately and addressed to the Research Fellowship Committee.
- Optionally, state the racial/ethnic group with which you identify. Racial/ethnic minorities and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please also read the Training Overview page before completing your application. Send completed application or requests for additional information about the program to:
Research Fellowship Committee
Alcohol Research Group
6001 Shellmound Street, Suite 450
Emeryville, CA 94608-1010
Email: Submit Here