The postdoctoral fellowship offers the opportunity to work with leaders in the field and can be a critical stepping stone toward becoming an independent investigator in addictions research.
We accept applications during the last quarter of the year, with a deadline of December 31, for the next year’s opening(s). Our T32 fund year starts June 1 and ends on May 31 of the following year.
The postdoctoral training program is appropriate for:
- Recent doctoral graduates wishing to increase their research experience and establish a publication record in alcohol studies.
- Established researchers seeking to make a transition to the alcohol studies field.
Scholars who are new to alcohol studies are welcome to apply. Recent doctoral graduates are eligible if they are seeking a transition from related fields of study or if they are continuing previous study in the field. Established faculty are eligible if they have not previously conducted research in alcohol studies.
Applicants must satisfy all of the following specifications:
- Applicant must possess a Ph.D. or foreign equivalent (conferred less than five years ago)
- Proposed appointment may not total more than five years of service including previous postdoctoral experience at other institutions
- Applicant may not have been employed as an assistant professor, associate professor, or professor
Postdoctoral positions are typically two years in duration. The second year of funding is contingent on the approval of a second-year project and on successful completion of the first-year requirements. Postdoctoral trainees will receive a monthly stipend, health benefits, and a travel allowance. Current stipends are $47,484-52,140/year. Additional employment is often available.
Applications will be accepted from U.S. citizens or permanent residents who have earned a doctoral degree, or are within 3 months of their filing date; applications are reviewed by the Research Fellowship Committee, which meets at regular intervals throughout the year. Please prepare your application using the “Postdoctoral Fellowship Application Requirements Checklist” and submit it to the email address below.
Application Requirements Checklist
- Cover letter (please include how you heard about our training program).
- Recent curriculum vitae.
- Graduate transcripts and standardized test scores.
- Samples of writing: reprints of articles, dissertation chapters, and/or reports, etc.
- Statement of purpose (2-3 pages, single-spaced).
- Why are you interested in alcohol research?
- What experience do you have in alcohol and drug research to date?
- What are your long-term career goals in the alcohol field?
- What are the specific and realistic aims of your postdoctoral study, and how do you see the fellowship building on your current skills and contributing to your long-term career goals?
- Who are your first and second choices for an ARG mentor, and why?
- What products do you envision coming out of your two years at ARG?
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should be sent separately and addressed to the Research Fellowship Committee. Letters can be mailed to the address below or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Optionally, state the racial/ethnic group with which you identify. Racial/ethnic minorities and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are encouraged to apply.